Amazon Hiring Process
Amazon.com, Inc. is an United States based multinational technology company focusing on e-commerce, cloud computing, online advertising, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence.
The hiring process typically takes three to four weeks. Upon receiving an application, company hired recruiter or human resources representative screens your resume and cover letter as well as submitted application and reaches out directly to those who match the qualifications and availability of the open position.
There is a background and drug test you might see as part of the hiring process which confirms your credit history, criminal background and continued candidate interest in the position and then schedules an onsite interview.
Very frequently you might be asked to complete an assessment test to determine your fit for the position. This is one of the most challenging steps in the hiring process so make sure to take timed practice tests, track your scores, and ensure you get noticed. Get prepared for your test today and apply with confidence.
Next step is the interview with the hiring manager and determines your ability to perform the position successfully and your fit with the company and team. Usually, candidates receive standard interview questions, such as asking you to talk about your greatest strengths and weaknesses.
If the interview goes well and the candidate is determined to be the best fit, they receive an offer of employment offer and negotiate the benefits and start date on the job
Amazon Assessment Test Process Q&A
- Amazon Assessment Test - measures peoples verbal reasoning skills, pattern recognition, decision making abilities and ways of solving challenges
- Numerical Reasoning Test - measures candidate's ability to interpret numerical data, charts and graphs
- Psychometric Test - measure candidates' suitability for a role based on the required personality characteristics
- Criteria Cognitive Aptitude Test (CCAT) - measures an individual's aptitude, or ability to solve problems, digest and apply information, learn new skills, and think critically
- IQ Tests - measures job candidate's intelligence, analytical skills and ability to recognize patterns
- Behavioral Test measure how people differ in their levels of motivation, values and opinions in relation to their interests.
- Personality Test - measure how people differ in their ways of working in the teams with other and working as individual contributors.
- Leadership Test - measures individuals' abilities and skills as they refer to leading, managing and directing others
- Situational Judgement Test (SJT) - measures how candidate would behave in work-based situations similar to those real scenarios that could be encountered in the job
- Microsoft Excel Test - used during the recruitment process to check how proficient candidates are with Microsoft Excel features and capabilities
Most of the times employers use assessment tests when hiring new candidate or promoting a person within the organization:
- Hiring and Employment Assessment - hiring manager or HR might choose to test job candidate before hiring to ensure candidate is a good fit for the position.
- Growing Talent inside the organization - for example some companies use the test before making decision to promote the candidate for the position inside the organization
- Determine Levels of Motivation - for example, if your company is looking to implement a new system or technology it might be helpful to assess people on their interests and motivations related to new technology.
- Hiring interns for a full time roles - very frequently organizations need to be able to assess analytical skills and cognitive abilities to determine if person is the right for for the position. Very often psychometric tests can help you to uncover values and interests that are fundamental to overall career satisfaction.
- Converting Temporary worker or Consultant into Full time position - a lot of times companies are interested in building capabilities inside the organization or trying to reduce the cost and offer contractors, consultants or temporary workers, currently working at the company, to convert to full time jobs
Assessment Tests are very stressful, and it is easy to loose control and to rush to complete all questions. Effective time management on the test is essential to getting a good score on the test and you can increase your chance of passing the assessment by practicing the test beforehand.
If you managed to get nervous on the test try removing anxiety by using calming breathing exercises, taking a restroom break to regroup, sip some water, take a breath between test sections or eat a quick snack.
One of the most useful recommendations to prepare for employment assessment test is to find out which tests are used for the job position you are applying for and practice beforehand. Ask the HR or hiring manager if they use their own test or whether test is administered by a third party vendor. Even though you would never know about what exact questions you will be asked throughout the testing process, when practicing the similar test you will become familiar with the types of questions you will be presented with the time constraints which will make your practice extremely realistic and will get your ready for the real test.
Did you know?
To increase your chances of passing the test you can learn about the assessment test format. You can ask in advance how many questions are on the test and what kind of questions are there (multiple choice questions, true false, simulator questions etc.). You can also learn about he time required to complete the test.
Assessment Test Solved & Explained
What Is the Amazon Assessment Test?
The Amazon assessment test is a series of online tests that Amazon uses to screen its candidates. The most common assessments are the Work Simulation and Work Style Assessment, but there are over 10 other assessments for specific roles, such as SDE, AWS, Maintenance, and more.
Complete List of Typical Amazon Assessment Tests
Amazon would like to make sure candidate has required skills to complete the job and is a great fit for the position. Amazon uses online assessments tests to determine whether have the skills needed for the job. Based on the job candidate is applying Amazon Assessment Test is either completed during the recruitment process or online after you submit your application. Below is the list of typical Amazon Assessment Tests, for specific positions along with the links to Amazon Assessment Test Preparation Resources:
- Amazon Work Simulation Assessment - This practice test evaluates your analytical skills, decision-making, and your use of Amazon's Leadership Principles.
- Amazon Coding Assessment - Get access to practice important tips, and inside info to help you pass the Amazon SDE coding and behavioral assessments
- Amazon Work Style Assessment - Learn about Amazon's most common personality, which is used to test almost every candidate
- AWS Assessment Test - Learn more about the AWS online assessment that's sent to candidates for Solution Architect, Cloud Support, Cloud Architect, and many other AWS roles
- Amazon Area Manager Assessment - Complete preparation practice for the four manager assessment modules (which includes Working with Metrics)
- Amazon Operations Manager Assessment Test - Exclusive prep for the main screening step that any Amazon Operations Manager must pass
- Amazon MBA Online Assessment - Get info & prep for the initial online assessment that any Amazon MBA candidate has to pass
- Amazon Ramsay Test - Thorough prep for the toughest part of the Amazon maintenance tech's hiring process (created by certified engineers)
- Amazon Mechatronics & Robotics (RME) Apprenticeship Skills Battery Test - Get an instant access to exclusive, up to date and in-depth preparation for the RME apprenticeship assessment
- Amazon Control Systems Technician Test - Similar to the Maintenance Technician Test, yet focuses more on electricity, electronics, and robotics.
- Amazon Financial Analyst Assessment - Exclusive practice tests covering all sections of the online assessment - Work Simulation, Work Style, and MS Excel
- Amazon ATA Technical Assessment - Practice test for all three Amazon Technical Academy tests - AMCAT, Work Style Assessment, and Technical Assessment
- Amazon Warehouse Assessment Test - Everything you need to prepare for behavioral & personality assessments that are a crucial part of the Amazon warehouse & fulfillment assessments
Typical Amazon Hiring Process
Amazon is one of the largest companies with unique culture and leadership principles and hires approximately 850,00 candidates worldwide annually. For most Amazon positions, the Amazon employment process consists of multiple steps:
- Candidate finds the job and Submits an Amazon Job Application.
- Amazon Completes Resume Screening. Some parts of the screening are automated, based on AI, depending how many resumes have been received
- Candidate Completes Online Assessment
- Candidate Completes Phone Interview
- Candidate Completes Virtual Interview / On-site Interviews
- Job Offer, Salary and Benefits negotiation
What happens if you fail Amazon Interview or Assessment test?
If you fail Amazon Job Interview or Assessment Test you are eliminated from the pool of candidates for the position and your employment application is terminated. You will be able to reapply for a different position at Amazon, but your test results from the failed test will be retained in Amazon system
Amazon Work Simulation Assessment
The Amazon Work Simulation Test ensures that candidate is a good fit for the position and presents employment candidate with the typical challenges commonly faced by Amazon employees.
Most common work simulation assessment ensures future employee meet Amazon's Leadership principle and familiar with the concepts of work prioritization, multitasking skills, problem-solving skills and can work under pressure.
Questions in the test presenting the candidate with the possible work scenarios. Each question begin with communication email to give candidate the context into the nature of the issue you’ll face. When the simulation starts, you’ll be prompted with emails and instant messages from your virtual Team Lead, team members, etc.
Within each scenario, you’ll get more details to help you solve the problem in the form of charts, graphs, spreadsheets, and tables. You’ll then be asked questions and given a set of responses you need to choose from.
Amazon Software Development Engineer (SDE) Online Assessment
Amazon Software Development Engineers design and create cloud based and computer systems solve real-world problems for Amazon and its customers. Landing a job at Amazon is only possible after battling against thousands of competent candidates. A way to have the upper hand in the competition is by knowing the rules of the game even before entering the ring. Amazon, like other companies, has an exhaustive set of assessment tests lined up for the posts of Software Development Engineer, Software Developer, Engineering Manager, and Tech Lead. Every assessment has been designed in a way that the upcoming round would be a level higher than the preceding one.
The Amazon Software Development Engineer (SDE) online assessment combines coding and behavioral tests given to candidates for SDE positions - interns, new grads, and experienced roles.
For interns and new grad positions, the Amazon online assessment is divided as follows: two coding questions, Work Simulation, and Work Style Assessment questions.
For more experienced SDE roles, you’ll get a coding test that includes two coding questions, a coding approach questionnaire, a Work Style assessment (two parts), and a Work Simulation assessment.
Note that Amazon puts a premium and bases its behavioral and personality assessments on the 16 leadership principles. So, learn them and take them into account while choosing your responses.
Amazon Work Style Assessment
Amazon Work Style Assessment test is designed to test the candidate around Amazon's 16 Leadership Principles. Amazon's Workstyle Assessment test is it's version of a personality testto ensure the candidate is a good fit for Amazon's workplace and culture.
The Amazon Work Style assessment evaluates your work preferences and qualities to determine your suitability to Amazon’s unique culture.
In most cases, this test comes before or after other Amazon online assessments, and you’ll rarely receive it as a single exam.
On this assessment, which takes about 15 minutes to complete, you’ll see pairs of statements, and you’ll need to decide which is most like you or more like you.
Amazon’s Work Style Assessment is completely based on the Amazon Leadership Principles. These are core values that are super important to Amazon, and its workers address and follow them daily.
So, before starting the Work Style Assessment, read the Leadership Principles and learn how to implement them in your past work experiences.
Amazon Maintenance Technician Test
Amazon is typically recruiting maintenance technicians for the warehouse maintenance positions: maintenance technician, control systems technician, RME technician, and facilities technician. In order to get an Amazon tech position you need to pass the Amazon Ramsay test and a series of behavioral interview questions. The Amazon Maintenance Technician Test (also referred to as Amazon Tech 2 or Amazon Tech 3) is a Ramsay Corporation test assessing your theoretical and practical knowledge over a variety of maintenance topics. It contains 75 multiple-choice questions and lasts around 2.5 hours.
Test topics typically ensures candidate has knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Problem solving
- Operations and Maintenance
- Print reading
- Electrical theory
- Control circuits
- Power tools
- Preventive maintenance
- And a lot of others
Amazon Control Systems Technician and Lead Assessment
Control System Technician is typically responsible for equipment maintenance and troubleshooting, material handling equipment (MHE) such as sortation systems, conveyors, cameras, and scanners. They are responsible for organizing, printing and applying labeling systems, HMI systems, scales, and control cabinets. The Amazon Control Systems Assessment is used for tech and lead positions in Amazon, and revolves around 8 topics, including schematics, process control, electrical theory, motors, and more.
The overall time to solve the test is around 90 minutes. Similar to other Amazon technical tests, this test is also conducted by Ramsay Corporation.
Amazon AWS Online Assessment
Amazon AWS Assessment Test validates AWS Cloud knowledge, skills, and expertise. Candidates take an exam to earn one of our Foundational, role-based, or Specialty certifications. Typically AWS Assessment Test is taken in a proctored, timed environment.
Typical Amazon AWS Online assessment covers different topics:
- A Work-Simulation test that deals with Amazonians' work scenarios. In it, candidates will need to rate or rank possible solutions to dilemmas they might face, much like with the Work Simulation test.
- A Work-Style assessment which is Amazon's custom-made personality test, built around their famous 16 Leadership Principles.
- Some sort of technical knowledge test, depending on the role.
- A test that simulates scenarios that involve working with customers for customer-oriented roles.
The variation of AWS Online Assessment, Amazon Solution Architect (SA) online assessment is sent after you pass the initial resume screening for a range of Solution Architect roles at AWS.
This assessment takes about 75-90 minutes to complete and is divided into five different sections:
- Work Simulation with several real-life scenarios
- Amazon Work Style Assessment
- General Technical Knowledge section to assess technical skill
- Proficiency Interest Survey
- Technical Indicator Assessment
- The AWS Support Engineer assessment has almost the same structure as the AWS Solution Architect assessment.
AWS Online Assessment includes a job simulation, a multiple-choice assessment on general technical knowledge, a profile preference and proficiency questionnaire for the many AWS cloud support roles, and a work-style questionnaire.
Amazon Area Manager Assessment, Operations Manager Assessment, and Pathways Assessment
Amazon Area Manager is typically responsible to lead and develop your own team of Amazon associates in a distribution warehouse environment. Your main focus will be motivating, mentoring, and managing your team to meet targeted goals. The Amazon Area Manager and Operations Manager assessments include 4-5 sections that evaluate your knowledge and skills in several different aspects:
- Working With the Team - scenarios of real-life work and dilemmas that Operations Managers and Area Managers may encounter
- Working With Metrics - numerical problems that evaluate your math and data analysis skills
- Planning for the Team - work-related scenarios that assess your prioritization skills and your use of Amazon's Leadership Principles
- Work Style Assessment - a personality test that focuses on Amazon’s culture and Leadership Principles
- Work Experiences - ranking questions that measure different aspects of your work experience
Amazon Technical Academy (ATA) Assessments
Amazon Technical Academy trains Amazon employees in the U.S. to become entry-level Software Development Engineers (SDE) in as little as nine months. Tuition is free and participants are paid to learn. To get accepted into the Amazon Technical Academy, there are three Amazon ATA assessments you must pass (as well as other hiring stages). Here's a quick overview of these assessments:
- AMCAT Test: The Aspiring Minds Computer Adaptive Test (AMCAT) is a 24-question logical reasoning test that takes 35 minutes to complete.
- Work Style Assessment: This assessment is a unique type of personality test that's widely used by Amazon. It evaluates certain personality traits and behaviors to see if they fit Amazon's famous 16 Leadership Principles.
- Technical Assessment: This 3-hour assessment measures your Java fundamentals knowledge. It includes multiple-choice questions that assess your theoretical coding knowledge as well as a coding question that evaluates your practical coding skills in Java.
In addition to these three assessments, you'll need to have a positive manager nomination form and to pass an interview process. There's also an optional coding project, which was mandatory in previous Cohorts.
Amazon Financial Analyst Assessment Test
Amazon Financial Analysts use their financial knowledge and business acumen to build financial models, interpret data, draw conclusions, and make recommendations that deliver results, drive improvements, and influence leaders throughout Amazon. These decisions can have global impact.
The road to becoming an Amazon Financial Analyst includes a series of challenging assessments and interviews.
For most Financial Analyst positions at Amazon, the assessments will include:
- Work Simulation: a unique situational judgment test with scenarios that represent situations you might experience on the job at Amazon. Takes about 50 minutes to complete.
- Work Style Assessment: a 15-minute personality assessment that evaluates qualities important to your success within Amazon.
- Financial Analyst Excel Test: the Amazon Excel assessment test requires you to master the different features of the software. Most of the questions on this excel assessment will deal with formulas, macro creation, advanced formatting, advanced formula creation, and document properties.
Amazon MBA Online Assessment
Amazon uses it's MBA Online Assessment as the first stage for screening candidates for Amazon internship program. The Amazon assessment test for MBA is the first online assessment given to MBA and master’s level graduates and interns applying to full-time roles and internships. Amazon MBA Online Assessment focuses on their personality characteristics and work traits.
The assessment can be completed in approximately 80 minutes. Each candidate may complete the MBA Online Assessment only once in a given recruiting cycle.
The online MBA assessment includes three sections, in which no specific Amazon or functional knowledge and skills are evaluated. Nevertheless, you must successfully pass it to advance to the interview stage.
These three sections are:
- Work simulation: a simulation that presents scenarios (mini business cases) you might encounter while working at Amazon.
- Work Style assessment: a personality test that evaluates your preferred work preferences, tendencies, and qualities.
- Agree or Disagree: a series of statements regarding your personality, traits, preferences and etc. You will be asked to rate each statement on a scale of five options - between Strongly Agree and Strongly Disagree.
- Work priorities: ranking questions where you rank your interest in different activities that Amazon workers may encounter in their everyday work
Amazon Numerical Reasoning Test (SHL)
In Amazon numerical reasoning test, you are required to answer questions using facts and figures presented in as numbers, charts or graphs and require calculations. In each question you are usually given a number of options to choose from, typically between 3 and 5 and only one of the options is correct in each case. The Amazon numerical reasoning test is a multiple-choice interactive aptitude test designed by a huge test provider named SHL. It tests your mathematical abilities by the use of graphs and charts. You will be evaluated in relation to other test takers and will face a strict time limit.
- Typical Amazon numerical reasoning test is comprised of 10 questions and takes 18 minutes to complete. There's also a less common version consisting of 18 questions that take 25 minutes, depending on the job you're applying for.
- On these numerical reasoning tests, you'll be given partial numerical data that you'll need to calculate in order to find missing data. Then, based on the data you've found, you'll need to tweak blank graphs accordingly.
- This SHL numerical assessment requires excellent math skills and a quick eye for details. On the real test, there's only about a minute and a half for each question. That includes reading it, conducting the calculations, and tweaking the graphs.
Amazon Assessment Test for Warehouse
Typical Amazon Warehouse job are Pickers, Packers, Counters, Janitors, Security guards and a lot of others. Candidates for Amazon’s Warehouse and fulfillment associate positions take an online assessment named Amazon Associate Game On Virtual Job Tryout.
The assessment consists of two sections:
Section 1 - Tell Us Your Story: On this part, you’ll get 22 multiple-choice questions asking about your work experience, background, and approach. Here are a few examples of questions you’ll likely see on the assessment:
- How would your most recent employer rate your attendance compared to others?
- In your most recent job, how many times per year did you have an unexcused absence?
- How would your most recent supervisor at work rate your drive to become a top performer compared to others?
- You’ll see additional statements in which you’ll need to choose an answer from “Strongly disagree” to “strongly agree.”
Section 2 - Stow Pro: This section includes three games that showcase the type of work you’ll do as a Warehouse associate.
- All three games have rules similar to those used in existing facilities. In these games, you’ll need to place virtual items onto shelves, load packages into aisles, and place grocer items into shopping bags.
As part of hiring process, high chances you will be required to pass the personality test to check your work personality profile. You work personality profile represent the range in varied traits you possess and behave in a daily work situation. For specific position different range of position is required. For example, as a future manager, you are expected to have high ability to make decisions. What most candidates don't know, is that you can prepare for such a test and practice basic general guidelines appropriate for all personality tests. We designed a 219 question personality test, with study guides and score report to help you do just that and achieve the best score possible.
Sample Personality Test Question
Assessment Test Tips & Tricks
To demonstrate your best on the test you need to make sure to follow Assessment Test Best Practices that can help you to get highest possible score on the test
TIP #1 - Smartest Ways to Prepare for the Assessment Test
- Identify the type of test you will be required to complete and practice by finding and taking as many tests as you possibly can
- A lot of time companies work with the assessment test providers. Find the provider your future employer might be using and research the types of tests and questions provider might be using
- Some assessment test providers help you prepare for the test and might offer practice test: find their web site and use their materials to get ready.
- When practicing the test simulate real test conditions: set a time time constraint – when practicing sample questions, be sure to give yourself between 30 seconds to one minute to solve each question.
- Learn from your mistakes: don’t just skim through the answers and explanations but try to understand the patterns and rationale for the explained answers to make sure you will not make similar mistakes in the future.
TIP #2 - Assessment Day Best Practices
- If possible, try to schedule test in the morning, when you have high levels of energy
- Get a good sleep before the test.
- Do not take a test if you are tired
- Read Question carefully (ideally more than once)
- Answer easy questions first (if you have a choice)
- This would allow you to leave harder questions for the end, but you will get easy answers in
- Validate your answer with more than one method (i.e. Common sense, Manual Calculations, Use Calculator etc.)
TIP #3 - Prepare for the Test
- Be prepared for taking Assessment Test at Home: you might be monitored and timed during the test by provider using your laptop's camera to observe what you might be doing
- Anticipate questions based on the job position
- You can skip questions; however, most likely you will not be allowed to go back to them.
- Today most tests are administered online, but most test providers allow you to use pen and scratch paper. Some providers also allow you to use a calculator
- Research and practice before the test
- Reflect after the test and take notes right after the test. During your preparation sessions use these notes to get ready for next test
- Improve your skills in between tests by taking practice tests and timing yourself
Next Step: Get Ready for Assessment Test - Download PDF eBook
The best way to prepare for the test is to own preparation materials by downloading practice tests that match your needs. Unlike other cloud platforms we do not charge your recurring fees and allow your to download PDF, which you can use to get prepared for the assessment test. There is no shipment involved, as soon as payment is processed you can download the preparation material and start practicing.
Advantages of downloading assessment tests in PDF format to get ready for the assessment test:
- No Recurring Fees - you download the PDF file and only pay for preparation material once
- You do not need an Internet Connection to practice (you can download the test on your device and practice in the remote location to get ready for the test more effectively)
- PDF Assessment Tests are accessible on All Platforms and in any web browser (Operating Systems: MAC, Windows, IOS, Android or Linux. PDF Files can be opened in any browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc. PDF format is also device and resolution independent)
- PDF Assessment Tests are Searchable - you can use search features of your PDF reader to find specific question, tips, recommendation or text you might be looking for
- You Can make Annotations inside Downloaded PDF Assessment Tests (for example you can highlight questions, that might seem unclear, so you can come back and learn them later)
Top 50 Aptitude Test Questions and Answers is everything you need to get ready for Aptitude Assessment Test. An Aptitude Test is an pre-employment hiring exam, which is used by to determine an how well candidate is prepared to succeed in a given activity. It also ensures that candidate has a good grasp and can solve business problems, using the data presented to help make business decision for the organization. In addition to the practice questions and answers in this PDF eBook you will also learn about strategies to successfully pass Assessment Test, most efficient ways to get prepared, time management tips for exam preparations, tips and tricks to answer different types of questions and much more.
Who Created Training Materials
Vadim Mikhailenko, MBA, is an experienced coach, trainer and Consultant with over 20 years of professional experience
- Vadim works as a consultant and educator helping students to find jobs and get hired
- He has hired many people and knows interview and assessment test process from inside out
- Vadim holds Masters Degree in Computer Science and MBA degree from Keller Graduate School of Management
Learn from an industry expert and insider and get hired for that job, to launch your own career
(Single Test Prep)
Top 50 Aptitude Assessment Test questions with Answers and Explanations. Items Included (Instant PDF Download):
Aptitude Practice Test PDF: $17.00
Limited Time SALE: $17.00
Employment Plus Value Bundle
Everything you need to prepare for the most common Employment Assessment Test. Items Included (Instant PDF Download):
Aptitude Practice Test PDF: $17.00
IQ Practice Test PDF : $17.00
Excel Practice Test PDF: $17.00
Value Bundle SALE:
Assessment Test Super Value Preparation Pack
Comprehensive Preparation Pack to get you Prepared for variety of Assessment Tests. Items Included (Instant PDF Download):
Aptitude Practice Test PDF: $17.00
IQ Practice Test PDF: $17.00
Excel Practice Test PDF: $17.00
Microsoft Word Test PDF: $17.00
LinkedIn Excel Quiz PDF: $17.00
Super Value Pack SALE: